This project is read-only.

WPF Control Toolkit Namespace definition

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 7, 2006 at 11:22 PM
In this post I ask for decide or get proposals for the WPF Control Toolkit namespace.

"WPF Control Toolkit" is a delicious name but fragmented, it is not easy to make a good namespace from it. WPFCToolKit.Presentation? WPFCTK.
Presentation? and... if I open the namespace using my name? This project is founded by me... :) AGelati.Presentation?

-- Andrea Gelati

WPF WPF/E Control's Developer
Project Administrator of WPF Control Toolkit on CodePlex.com
Personal Blog - http://agelati.spaces.live.com
Sep 8, 2006 at 8:38 AM
When I develop my libraries I use namespaces in form Chaliy.Windows.Controls. I mean that I replace System with my name. As for me this is most unconfusing way.
Sep 8, 2006 at 8:47 AM
Hi,

I look's good at "AGelati.Presentation" or "AGelati.Windows" namespace. I will consider "AGelati.Presentation" for the final namespace.

Thank you for your opinion. :)

-- Andrea Gelati
Sep 9, 2006 at 11:15 AM
After times I have decided to use "AGelati.Presentation" for the framework namespace.

Small different situation for the assemblies, I think to use this scheme for manage the different release versions:

AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1 (major release)
AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.1 (fix release)
AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.2 (fix release)

AGelati.Presentation.v2006.2 (major release)
AGelati.Presentation.v2006.2.1 (fix release)

Other thing is to organize the Namespace-Assembly mapping, many options are available here:

Schema1
AGealti.Presentation in AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.dll
AGelati.Presentation.Design in AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.dll
AGelati.Presentation.Themes in AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.dll

Schema2
AGealti.Presentation in AGelati.Presentation.v2006.1.dll
AGelati.Presentation.Design in AGelati.Presentation.Design.v2006.1.dll
AGelati.Presentation.Themes in AGelati.Presentation.Themes.v2006.1.dll

Pro and Cons
The Schema1 is good for redist the framework to the users, unique assembly is good compared to releases 3 assemblies, manage versioning etc.

The Schema2 is good for the assembly size, perfom managing the releases of the client application, only components are released with not including all designers.

I'm here... please send me a feedback!. :)

Andrea Gelati

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:22 PM
I am an old java developer and have stuck with the habit of using com.company.project.whatereve etc..... It also ensure uniqueness when integrating many assemblies from different providers.

Bill